Monday, January 19, 2015

Blood Pact

Lately I’ve been thinking about giving back.  As a Girl Scout and a teaching assistant for the Head Start program, I have seen how impactful it can be to fulfill the needs of others.  When nothing is expected in return, the gift becomes more precious.
One of the more precious things I have been fortunate enough to be able to give is my blood.  I don’t know any real vampires, per se, but I am a fan of the Red Cross.  I try to donate twice a year, but that doesn't always happen.  It seems like a nice amount, but I could technically give much more often!  This year I have challenged myself for a New Year’s Resolution to give blood three times before the year is out.

If you are eligible to give and don’t do it, I would encourage you to consider it.  It is a small sacrifice that can really make that life or death difference.  I know families who have been touched by this living gift, including my own father, who needed blood products during his heart valve replacement surgery.  I started giving to honor a boy from our 4-H who unexpectedly had a heart attack at school due to a congenital condition.  The drive happened while he was in the hospital as a way to sort of contribute and replenish the supply that he was  having to use.  While he unfortunately did not make it, I attend biannual blood drives in his honor, as do many others who were touched by his luminescent presence.  Honor a life that has been impacted.  Show your gratitude that you have not had to tap that supply.  Go for the free snack and the possibility of a t-shirt.  Just give.

No comments:

Post a Comment