Saturday, May 14, 2011

Twlight: Vampires Without the Bite

 My Mardi Gras vampire costume from this past Halloween.

My  Rating: 3 of 5 Stars


I really wanted to love the Twilight series. After all, I did honeymoon in Romania and eat Jonathan Harker's meal from the Dracula novel at the Golden Crown! I am generally intrigued by anything vampire-related, so I have given the series a try. I find them a bit lack-luster and overly safe. The notions of chastity and being torn between two choices are overdone throughout the series. The characters seem like they could be filled out more, since some seem like they could be really interesting. Violence, a necessity in the vampire world, seems to be a minimal detail, making this romance story a bit less paranormal than promised, with the conventions (sparkling in the sun, anyone?) seem a bit random.

I do strangely enjoy watching the films, however, as the talent are quite attractive, and the music tends to be excellent. While the hairstyles aren't quite on-point, the wardrobe is usually nice. All in all, I watch the movies when they come on TV, but I do not buy the merchandise or flock to opening night. If the series is lukewarm in so many regards, how can I be expected not to be as well?  Besides, the squeaky-clean aspects make this franchise acceptable viewing with my daughters, who always want to share interests with Mommy and Daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment